Join our Effort to Name a new ship the USS Stoddard
As announced at the 2000 Reunion, on our behalf,
Bob Hoag has started
the campaign to get the Navy to
name a future ship after our ship's
The letter is off to SECNAV, and all my politicians. So now
you can fire up your computers and typewriters to send off your letters.
I've attached a slightly updated list of suggested instructions.
Primarily I suggest you not send another copy of my letter to SECNAV (his
staff will have one) so just refer to it. However, do send a copy to your
politicians since it has a lot of information in it that you may not want
to repeat. Lets hope we have good luck.
What I'm really hoping for is that they name an Arliegh Burke Destroyer
after Stoddard since as a Capt. during WWII Arliegh Burke was Squadron
Commander of DESRON 23 (Little Beavers) which were all Fletcher Class
Destroyers. Stoddard (at least when I was aboard) was in the last all
Fletcher Class Squadron on the West Coast (DESRON 21). I might add that I
had the great pleasure to meet Adm Burke twice. First when he was CNO and
I was a Midshipman. He inspected my room and as you might surmise, I was
terrified, but he was a great gentleman, and very friendly. Second time
was at Destroyer School after he was retired when he lectured us about the
Lebanon Crisis. I was absolutely in awe over how frank he was to us about
leadership. I'm sure much of what he told us most people (including Naval
Officers) were not aware of. He certainly was a dedicated Destroyerman.
Hope this provides some grist for your personal notes in your letters.
Click here for other E-mails regarding the search for information.
If you want to help, start here:
PROCEDURES FOR LETTERS To SECNAV CONGRESSMEN/SENATORS etc.
- The attached letters are only suggestions. It is important to personalize it, (even hand write the whole thing if your writing is legible) especially with some hand written words, and of course a signature. If you personally know the addressee, the more personal the better, especially with your experiences from the War, ship, etc.
- I would recommend sending a copy of my letter as an enclosure to everyone you send your request to, except SECNAV. You can refer to my letter and indicate that you support it, and that you've sent letters to your Congressmen, and Senators etc.
- Don't make the letter too long.
- For anyone except SECNAV, strongly request that they fully endorse your request, and send it to SECNAV.
- Do not send your letter via email. It will most likely be deleted, and will not go in the file on ship name requests.
- Keep a copy of your letters, and if you don't get a return from the legislators or SECNAV, then query them as to what they are doing about your request. This will get the staffs attention.